So what do we mean by Paleo Nachos? Corn chips aren’t traditionally Paleo right? And neither is cheese?
But guess what? You don’t need either to make THE MOST DELICIOUS NACHOS EVER!!!
Here at Rumbles Paleo we’re all about giving you wonderful, healthy alternatives to traditional “not-so-healthy” meals.
I’ve created a Paleo nacho recipe that even the biggest fast-food fan would love. I even made these for my McDonald’s obsessed cousin, who is a fast-food king, and he loved them.
Plus, my brother’s kids, devoured a plate of these last time they were over too!
In this Paleo Nacho recipe we use sweet potato chips instead of corn chips and I just leave off the cheese. The nacho meat is made in the slow cooker, so it literally melts in your mouth when you eat it.
I will let you know though, that this recipe does need to be prepped in advance, because we are using the slow cooker to make the meat. But the meat will literally take you five minutes to put together and then you just let your slow cooker take care of the rest!
So let’s hop to it…recipe time!
Nachos – Meat
1 kg gravy beef or oyster blade steak cut into large chunnks (approx 3cm x 3cm cubes)
2 onions cut in wedges
3 crushed cloves of garlic
4-5 tablespoons Mexican spice mix (available from delis, supermarkets, etc)
2 x 400g tins crushed tomatoes
1 cup tomato passata
Nachos – Sweet Potato Chips
2 medium sweet potatoes very finely sliced
2-3 tablespoons of Macadamia or Olive oil
Salt and pepper
- Throw all your nacho meat ingredients into your slow cooker and cook on low for six hours.
- About 40-60 minutes prior to meal time, preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Peel and thinly slice sweet potatoes (I used a mandolin to slice mine and get them super thin. The thinner they are, the crispier they’ll bake in the oven).
- Toss over oil, salt and pepper and make sure everything is coated well.
- Spread out in a single layer on two baking sheets covered with baking paper.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes
- Remove and turn over. Bake for a further 20 minutes or until crispy.
- Serve with meat and guacamole. I’ve got an awesome guacamole recipe here.