Healthy, Protein Hot Cross Buns!
The hardest thing to do during Easter is to go easy on eating Hot cross buns… well for me it is anyway! I love the spices and everything about them however it is always SO hard to find ones that aren’t that bad for you.
Well, we reached out to our Champion recipe creator Mirands from @clean_treats and yep, she came up with this beauty for youa ll to enjoy!
It can be made gluten Free if required and tastes spot on!
Buns (makes 6 large buns):
- 30g chocolate whey protein (can sub for more flour or GF flour instead)
- 1/4 cup cacao
- 1 3/4 cup plain flour (or GF flour)
- 1/4 cup stevia
- 30g ghee/butter, solid form not melted
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup almond milk, warmed
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1/2 cup Rumbles Paleo choc rocks, roughly chopped
- 2 tbs plain flour (or GF flour)
- 1/2 tsp stevia
- Splash of water
- Whisk the yeast with the milk until dissolved and set aside for 10mins in a warm place until foamy
- Sift the flour, cacao and protein into a bowl then rub the ghee into the mixture
- Make a well and pour the yeast/milk, egg and stevia into the centre and stir to combine
- Turn the dough onto a floured bench and knead for 1min
- Return the dough to a clean greased bowl, cover and set aside in a warm dark place for 1hr or until the dough has doubled in size
- Knead the dough for a further 5mins, add in the choc rocks then seperate into 6 buns.
- Put the balls into a lined baking tray, cover with a tea towel and return to the warm place for a further 30mins or the buns have risen
- Preheat your oven to 170°C
- Mix the cross ingredients together until it forms a smooth paste and pipe over the buns
- Cook for 20mins or until lightly golden