Toast and cereal is NOT what you want to be eating for brekky!
And that huge cup of O.J., put that away too.
Oh, let’s not forget about breakfast bars or breakfast cereal drinks (i.e. Up & Go). They’re just products that dishonest marketers can’t wait to use as bait to lure in as many innocent consumers as possible.
The above foods are simply an equation for mid morning coffee skulling competitions around the staffroom table while waiting for the doughnut delivery to arrive!
Regardless of what the bright and flashy labels that brekkie marketing packaging suggest – i.e fortified with iron, high in fibre, 98% fat free, 3x the protein, – these foods are certainly not “iron man food,” and they are NOT the “breakfast of champions”…
…although, come 10am, a couple of hours after consuming them, you probably will find your brain “snap, crackling and popping!” Queue the coffee/doughnut situation above.
So why is this?
Why shouldn’t we be eating the cereals, cereal bars/drinks and toast that I would bet, 98% of the Western population has been brought up eating? To many of us, it sounds ludicrous that we would eat anything but toast, cereal, juice and other refined grains (i.e. cereal bars) for brekkie.
Well let’s look into this a bit further…
1.) THEY’RE LOADED WITH SUGAR
The World Health Organisation suggests women eat no more than 6 teaspoons and men no more than 9 teaspoons of free sugars a day.
NOTE: Free Sugars are sugars added to processed foods and the natural sugars found in honey, syrups, fruit juices and fruit concentrates. It doesn’t include sugars found in milk (lactose) or fresh fruit and veg.
One teaspoon of sugar is equivalent to about 4.2g. So a quick look at the nutrition panel on your breakfast packets should give you an idea of just how much sugar many traditional brekkie items actually contain. Let’s look at some examples:
- 1 x 250ml carton of Up & Go = 19g sugar
- 1 x 250ml glass of OJ = 21g of sugar (that’s 4g short of a the same sized drink of Cola)
- 1 x 40g serve of Nutri-grain = 12.8g sugar (and who ever eats just 40g!?!) But even more interestingly, this food is promoted as a health food, but it actually contains approximately the same amount of sugar as Fruit Loops!
- 2 slices Toast and jam = 25g sugar
But really, who cares how much sugar is in your brekkie?
Well you should!
Here’s what the sugar content will trigger off in your body:
- The over consumption of sugar raises your blood sugar meaning your body has to release loads of insulin to deal with this.
- Insulin will transport a certain amount of this sugar to your muscles and liver, but they can only store a very small amount. So the rest will be taken to your fat cells where it will be stored as fat. Yep it’s sugar that makes us fat so you can stop putting as much importance onto those 99% fat free labels as it’s these foods that are generally loaded with sugar (they have to be to make the product taste nice as all the fat has been removed). Fat Free labels are nothing but big fat marketing hooks to lure you in! (If you’d like to learn more about healthy fats, please read this article from the Rumbles Nutritionist, Beck Nasr.)
- Because the body has released sooooooo much insulin after one of these meals, it can pull TOO much sugar out of the blood stream, which triggers the mid morning blood/sugar crash, leading to guess what? You craving more carbs and more sugar!!!!!!
2.) THEY’RE NOT “REAL FOODS”
Did you ever hear of anyone dying of a cereal or toast deficiency? Did you ever hear of anyone dying of a wheat deficiency? I haven’t. But if you have, let me know and I’ll happily correct my article here.
The above questions might sound a bit extremist, but the point I’m trying to make here, is that these “traditional” breakfasts we’ve been brought up on, are truly not real foods at all. This is why scientists have to “fortify” them with vitamins and minerals, because they don’t contain their own!
Is their any protein in your toast? Are there any vitamins and minerals in your breakfast cereals (besides the ones the scientists jammed in)? Are there any essential fats in your S.A.D. -Standard Australian Diet – breakfast (obviously not, otherwise they wouldn’t be flashing the FAT FREE marketing slogans on the boxes)? Are there any real foods in your breakfast bars (besides the sporadic dehydrated, reconstituted, sultana that’s been stripped of any nutrient content at all anyway)?
We are human beings who’ve been walking the globe for hundreds of thousands of years. We were meant to eat real foods: veggies, eggs, meats, nuts, seeds and some fruit. Mother Nature gave us these foods in abundance because they’re full of all the essential proteins, fats and vitamins the body needs to thrive.
The toast, the cereal, the 5L juice bottles, the breakfast bars, they’ve only been mass-produced and consumed for half a dozen decades. They are not from Mother Nature. They are not full of nutrients. They are not meant for us to eat every day for breakfast (unless you enjoy feeling bloated and tired and unless you enjoy mid-morning sugar crashes). And yes I know some of you will be saying, “But OJ is real food!” Well there’s approximately the juice from four oranges in one cup of juice. Would you normally eat four oranges at once? Not only that, when any fruit is in its “juice form”, it’s been stripped of most the fibre and goodness that comes from eating the whole fruit. It’s really just sugar in a cup. If you want fruit, eat it, don’t juice it.
HOW TO SWITCH OVER TO A “REAL FOOD” BREKKIE
When I first switched over to a Paleo-ish way of eating, I thought that all the above was crazy! How on earth, after being told by our governments to eat 5-6 serves of grains a day, after being told by mass marketing that cereal was “Iron-Man Food”, could I give it up all together?
I could not imagine my life without toast and cereal!
But I knew now that it was making me unhealthy, so I just begun experimenting with new breakfast options that incorporated “real foods”.
And I’d like to help you do the same!
Many people believe that incorporating veggies, eggs and real foods into their brekkie routine is too hard and time consuming. Plus they can be so used to their sugary cereals, juices and spreads (i.e. jam) that the thought of giving it up instils a lot of fear. I get it, I experienced the same emotions.
But it doesn’t have to be that way.
Which is why we’ve put together the Rumbles 5 Day Healthy Brekkie Challenge!
We’ll show you how to take 30 minutes to prepare a whole week’s worth of healthy brekkies that, on the day, will take 5 minutes or less to put together!
Look how good this food looks!
Plus we’ve even included “real food” versions of toast and cereal so you don’t have to give them up at all!
Each brekkie in the challenge is gluten, grain and, optionally, dairy free. Each brekkie is loaded with real foods like veggies, eggs, nuts and seeds and will provide the body with the nutrition it needs to keep it powering on through the morning with clarity of mind and strength until lunch time!
Good-bye mid morning caffeine and sugar cravings!
We’ve done all the hard work for you too so all you have to do is concentrate on enjoying yourself. When you click the image below to take part, we’ll instantly send you access to:
- A prep manual
- Shopping list
- Recipe cards
- A private FB Group you can join who’ll be sharing in the brekkie challenge with you! Nothing like being part of team.
So let’s do this together! Let’s make brekkie the healthiest most delicious meal of the day! Click the image below to take part: